Wednesday 8 August 2012

Oranges & Lemons...

Hello....
Its been a glorious day here today but I just didn't get a chance to grab the sun, but never mind – there is always tomorrow!
I belong to a facebook group who do a monthly card swap and as I'm signed up until I chose to leave I decided to make a start on my card this afternoon
Usually we are given a set of sheets and told what we have to use and anything we have to add to it
This time it was more to my liking – the colours yellow and orange!
I have been saying to friends for some time now that I wanted to move away from my “safe” colours – when I am making a card from scratch I tended to go for the lilacs or blues and occasionally browns
So this was a challenge in both ways – as in colours to be used and my own design
I decided I would do rubber stamping and heat embossing
The stamp I have used is from www.chloescreativecards.co.uk and is called Flower Heart Wreath code is MAR005 and cost £5.99
I also used a lovely crafters verse stamp which I had from www.dimensionstamps.co.uk
I started the card by folding my pale yellow card in half to create an A5 landscape card blank
I measured a piece of bright orange card that left a very narrow all round border, punched the corners with small decorative corner punch – this was stuck to the card with double sided tape.
I used the same lemon card to stamp my image using versamark then covering with WOW Pearl Gold Sparkle embossing powder – tapped away the excess and heated
I then used a piece of cut n dry and Tim Holtz Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink pad and using a circular motion edged the card
This was then matted onto another piece of the same lemon leaving the narrowest of border.
Using the cuttlebug and a Marianne border die I cut 2 pieces in white lightweight card – I used the same piece of cut n dry without re-inking it to lightly add colour to the border then slotted a length of yellow ribbon with white dots through it – the ends were cut into a neat v.
I had a fancy die cut square in white so stamped the sentiment onto it using black versafine ink – left it for a few minutes to be sure it was completely dry then coloured the outer edges using cut n dry and Tim Holtz Squeezed Lemonade distress ink pad
To put the card together I added the ribbon border slightly over half way using double sided tape
Next the mat and layered heart panel was stuck to the left side again with double sided tape
Then the sentiment panel was attached to the lower right side
As I then had a small blank area I felt I had to fill it – so used 3 different sized paper flowers – they were all white so I took the largest and smallest and completely covered in the Squeezed Lemonade – while they were still wet with ink I covered just the smallest with glamour dust
The middle flower was coloured with the Spiced Marmalade ink pad
Once the ink had completely dried I made up the flower and held in place with an amber gem set brad
The 2 flowers were attached to the top right hand corner.
Next it was embellishing the card
So amber AB flat backed gems were added to the centres of the flowers in the heart wreath – I used Cosmic Shimmer PVA to hold them
Pale gold flat backed pearls were stuck in 2's to the corners of the heart panel
Orange flat backed pearls were placed in each corner of the sentiment panel
And that's it – my orange and yellow challenge card!
Comments welcome please!!!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment