Sunday 1 February 2015

Mixed Media Plaque


Good Evening

I am feeling more in the mood for crafting today as my best friend actually contacted me this morning, we had a good natter, naturally after any sort of car accident never mind a head on collision leaves you battered and bruised. Hopefully she will be back home in a day or two so I can go and see her then.

I have had a very productive day in my craft room, my Cameo has been working all day and I just love it – will be sharing my makes in a few days

But today I finished off a plaque I had to make as part of a swap in a Yahoo group – StampersUK, the swap was themed “mixed media & love”. I have to be honest and say this really was out of my comfort zone and it has taken me 3 attempts to get to where it is now. My problem is – what exactly is mixed media?


The mdf plaque was from www.joannasheen.com and I started by covering the  front with a sheet of fab distressed looking paper from the new cd by Katy Sue – Shabby Chic, I recommend it highly!! So once the paper was dry I rubbed the edges with a sanding block.

On to my thoughts of mixed media, the 1st thing I did was got a small piece of bubble wrap, rubbed over the bubbles with a versamark ink pad then covered with blue sparkle embossing powder and heated just enough for the embossing powder to set, once cool I roughly cut out a heart shape and stuck this to the bottom left of my plaque.


Next I cut out a beautiful heart shaped postcard with a deep pink rose – this was taken from a mixed topper sheet on the Katy Sue cd. I sprayed this with Crafters Companion spray and shine and left to dry. Months ago I bought a pack of Tim Holtz Glassine Paper but until now had not used it – so I scrunched up half a sheet then attempted to punch some flowers but they kept getting stuck – so note to myself, next time cut then scrunch, but I managed to get 3 or 4 decent flowers so used cosmic shimmer to glue one on top of the other then put a big blob of Pinflair gel in the centre and covered with red accent beads, this was set aside to dry.


The heart had dried nicely so was stuck to the right hand side of the plaque, I found a double heart that was bent but I cut a piece of sticky backed clear paper and used this to hold the hearts at the point of the shiny heart.

As this is part of a stamping group the plaque must have some stamping somewhere, I had just that day received a set of alphabet stamps by Pergamano so used I & S and stamped with versamark then covered with white detail embossing powder, I then used stars with trailers to randomly stamp over the plaque and heart embossed them.


In my stash I had a box of letters that used to be used in hotel foyers, how I got them I have no idea but they were perfect for the word love, I just clipped of the lugs at the back so the letters sat flush.

I had some unusual stuff in my stash, it’s a Tim Holtz thing but can’t think what it’s called, any way I put it through the big shot in an embossing folder, I rubber the versamark over the embossed design and covered with a blue/green embossing powder and heated, on the reverse side I did the same but this time used fuchsia embossing powder. I cut this into very thin strips and then weaved until I had used all the pieces, I stuck a piece of card on the top and once dry cut out an elongated heart shape which was stuck on the bubble wrap heart.


The glassine flower had set good and hard so I used a blob of Glossy Accents to place the flower along the bottom right hand side. A blue metal ”thing” sorry cannot think what it is called was stuck to the top centre with glossy accents and i cut down a scrap of card to fit it, used Versafine Blue Lagoon ink and stamped love, covered with clear embossing powder and heated up – then put a blob o glue on the back and slipped it into the blue thing.

Whilst looking for a charm I came across a bag with lots of metal embellishments in, I found 2 large flowers so using the Crop-o-dile I punched a hole through the centre then stuck them over the drilled holes in the plaque.

Almost finished – I had a pack of thin ply hearts and keys so lightly inked the edges, then using jump rings I attached the key to the heart and again jump rings were used to hold 2 charms, one said Love and the other is a Hope breast cancer ribbon. I wrapped some dark blue ribbon around the hook of the padlock, tied a bow and stuck to the centre of my plaque to finish!!!

So I still ask myself – have I got it right about mixed media? I really don’t know but I do know I would happily keep this plaque and display it in my craft room but sadly it goes in the post tomorrow

See you tomorrow folks
Hugs
Angie
x

No comments:

Post a Comment