Friday 2 January 2015

2015 Bear Card & ATC


Hi

Today’s card is one I made to send to my sister-in-law as I managed to miss sending Christmas cards due to being ill.
I know it should have been posted by now but I decided against it rather than have it sat in some depot for days.
I used a kit designed by Janet Briggs, it was bought from www.craftsuprint.com
Its called New Year Bear 2015 and its an 8x8 kit but I usually print one size down as the 8x8 topper only just fits onto the 8x8 card and I like to have a bit of a border.

So I started by folding my 16x8 card in half to make my 8x8 card, I then trimmed it down to 7.7” x 7.7” and the backing paper is brown with cream spots and came from a lovely 12x12 Christmas paper pad that I have used so many times for general cards and rarely for any Christmas cards.
I trimmed the paper to approx 7.5”x 7.5” and stuck it to the card blank using double sided tape
Then I stuck the base topper to the card again using double sided tape.
I like the way this image base is done as it looks to have lots of matting and layering when in fact it has none!
I cut out all the decoupage elements and also the sentiment which I thought went well – From our House to Yours, I glued the sentiment across the top left corner.

Not sure about anyone else but I am having a hard time finding tint sticky pads – I know I can get plenty that are on the thick side but I prefer the 1mm thickness – so if anyone knows where I can get some from please let me know!
Anyway back to the decoupage, I used the flattest pads I could find and built up the design, for the last paws I used a shaper tool (which I can’t craft without) and a foam mat and gave the paws some shape then added them to the bear.
Now it’s down to finishing off, I kept it very simple and used some beautiful flat back AB gems that I ordered from Ebay over Christmas and I love them...here is the link for anyone who like me loves to collect gems and pearls
I simply stick one in each of the main layer corners and then on the inner layer and couldn’t not decorate that lovely top hat so added a gem either side of the 2015.

I had some of the decoupage layers left over as I felt to use them all would just make the card too thick to post as a large letter so I used them to make an atc which i will use when I send out my January swaps, I used a piece of cream hammered card and wanted to try out some gilding wax that I bought in the summer, as I've never used it before I didn't really know what it should be like, this was hard and to be honest I wasn't impressed, but I will read up on it as I think it should be softer so easier to use...if anyone out there knows about the Creative Expressions Metallic Gilding Wax please let know.
Hope you enjoyed today's card
Now what shall I do for tomorrow???
Take care and keep warm
xxx

1 comment: