Friday 11 November 2011

Gilded Owls

Today's card is something new to me and I love it!

For this card I used....
Blue Eazi Score board and tool
 Dreamweaver pair of Owls stencil,
Pearlescent embossing paste,
Copper Thunder gilding flakes
MATT Black and Tan coloured cardstock
Copper pearl cardstock
Martha Stewart branch punch
Little Claires circular sentiment
Brown organza ribbon
Papermania shimmer chalk
Crafters Companion Spray & Shine
Double sided tape, PVA glue, low tack tape, quickie glue pen,
A paper trimmer
and a selection of contrasting pearls.



The first job was to attach the stencil to my black cardstock with low tack tape - I took most of the tack away so it wouldn't mark the black card - this is done by pressing the tape to clothing and pulling off several times.

Once attached I used the palette knife to completely cover the owls then scrapped away the excess paste and put it back in the pot.

Carefully I removed the low tack tape and discarded it - then put the owls to one side to dry completely

Next stage was to cut the black cardstock down to 15cms wide and scoring to create an easel card - that was line 7 A4 half fold and line 4 A4 gate fold

I measured a strip of matt tan cardstock to approx 2"  wide by 5.25" (5cms x 13cms) long - and punched along one long edge then turned over and matched up as I punched the other edge.

A piece of dark brown organza ribbon was wrapped around this punched strip and secured behind. A length of foam tape was attached to the back and then placed on the base of card to form the stopper.

I used a die cut circular sentiment from Little Claires that also featured an Owl - coloured it with Papermania shimmer chalk then sprayed lightly with Crafters Companion spray & shine to seal it, this was added to the centre of my punched strip with foam pads.

Using the same matt tan cardstock I measured a piece of card approx 5"  x 4" (12.5cms x 10cms) and punched one edge using the branch punch again.

Matted to this was a piece of copper pearl 4.5" x 3.25" (11.5cms x 8cms) then matt black 4.25" x 3" (11cms x 7.5cms) copper 4" x 3" (10cms x 7.5cms)

Once the embossing paste was dry completely ( around 4 hours I think I left it) I repositioned the stencil and used a good quality PVA glue to cover the owls - removed the stencil then completely covered the design with copper thunder gilding flakes and pressed firmly all over the design so as not to leave any white showing - then tapped the card to remove the excess and set aside to dry again

Once the PVA had dried I brushed away any loose bits of gilding then cut the topper down to fit onto the last matted piece of copper card - so approx 3.8" x 2.8" (9.5cms x 7cms) and attached centrally using double sided tape

All that was left was to add my pearls - I used a dark brown in the 4 corners of the owls topper and brown - beige - tan in the top left edge and bottom right edge of the punched matt tan cardstock

On the easel base I used 3 copper coloured pearls along the front edge at the left and the right to finish.

I do hope you like the card and that my instructions have proved useful!

Please note all measurements are approx.

No comments:

Post a Comment