Friday 30 November 2012

Advent Cube


Hi – its me again!!!

Well can you believe this – I have dropped another pot of gems! I was talking to my friend Katie on the phone, opened the pot upside down and that was it – a shower of tiny flat backed pearls! I'll soon have no gems or pearls left to drop at this rate...

For those who are on facebook and reading this now I do apologise as you may well have seen this already...or parts of it!

Its a fab Advent Drawer Box
All the photographs will be at the end so be sure to scroll down

I bought the kit after seeing it on Crate & Craft a while ago and every day I would think tomorrow I will get that started – then I was nagged by Layton's mummy so I set to and one day made up all the drawers – the joy with this was no tape needed for the drawers – so easy to do as all die cut and pre-scored.

The next day I set to and made all the sleeves for the drawers – again all die cut and pre-scored – just needed a length of red tape

The day after I made the drawers into towers of 3 – again I used the red double sided tape as its much more sticky.

Then the trickiest part – I laid out the pre cut square of card and had to stick the towers in alternate manner so it was 4 towers then a sheet of card and the next 4 towers

When you look at it you can see what I mean by alternate manner

Now to the messy play!!!

I love this part most of all...

I used a christmas snowflakes mask for the top – the kit came with the washables all designed with snowflakes for the drawer fronts, the sides and the top which was a chipboard top.

I used Tim Holtz Salty Ocean distress ink pad and the applicator tool..

The mask was laid onto the top and then I inked over it all making it slightly darker on the outer edges

Once the mask was removed I loved the effect it left behind.

Next I used the same ink and applicator to colour all the sides and drawer fronts then left them all to dry.

The large chipboard base was painted using the blue Funky Metallics paint and left to dry

I bought a set of Papermania large epoxy brads that had bright colours so after sticking the coloured and pre numbered front to the drawer I used a pricking tool to make a hole and pushed the brad through but before it went right in I wrapped a short piece of cream fibres around the brad then pushed in and fastened at the back

That was done to all 24 boxes and the base and top were finally added using the red sticky double sided tape.

When Layton and his mummy Vicky came last week they both loved it – they took it home and Vicky soon had the drawers filled with sweets, chocolates and small toys like lego kits and matchbox cars

The kit may well have been expensive and the drawers are deep so would be costly if you wanted to fill them up – but I think its super

And they say you can leave it so you get 2 sets of drawers instead of 2 sets as I did – and just image how cool to have these decorated to suit the craft room...

Now where did I buy this from … I think I need another pack for the craft room...

Hope you like the Advent Calendar Drawers

x





No comments:

Post a Comment