Monday 9 January 2017

VW Beetle

Today I want to share a memory type book I was asked to make by a lady whose son was turning 21 and she just couldn’t find anything that summed him up.
She told me her son was VW beetles and VW campervan crazy and was actually rebuilding one in red, white and blue.
So that was my challenge
I knew I had some papers that were actually free in a Do Crafts magazine some time ago – Portobello Road, it had Union flags, postcards, stripes and of course plain colours red, white and blue.


I folded 2 A4 sheets of card in half and stuck one side to the other card making 3 work spaces on the front and the back.
I started on the front page which I covered with a flag paper, then die cut a mat using red card then a verse on a size smaller die, these were attached to the card using DST.
I used Google to search for VW and after finding suitable images I resized and printed onto matt photo paper, rounded the corners and added under the verse.


I printed out some VW blueprints and used them as backing paper for the inside left and right pages after 1st inking the card. On the left side I cut out cogs using black card and added them randomly across the page and used some of the waste in the top and bottom corners.

On the right hand side I used some Tim Holtz tickets and  the end result said “Live The Dream, Wish Every Day, Story Of Love And Hope”
And then the centre page I made a collage of different sections of a VW Beetle, stamped Matthew onto white card then used red and blue distress ink to randomly colour the letters, then heat embossed with clear embossing powder and then stuck down the card. I used an MDF circle which I drilled holes in and used as a button, I stamped Happy Birthday on the button, rubbed over with versamark and clear embossing powder, I added some butchers twine and tied it on the top then stuck to the card, 21st was stuck alongside the button.




On the reverse I made a collage using the blueprint and images, faded it out then stuck to a blue mat and finally onto the card. I stamped VW beetles and words over the paper and cut out a Happy Birthday panel from red, white, blue paper and stuck at the bottom.




The final sheet was another verse which I made long and narrow so it could go to one side of the page, postcard paper was stuck onto the card then a panel of red was stuck to the left side, the image cut out with scallop scissors and stuck over it.
I glittered an MDF star then stamped a VW Beetle onto shrink plastic, coloured it and trimmed before heating it till it shrunk to a perfect size. This was attached to the star then star to the card

Black peel offs were used along the spines with name & date of his birthday


The lady loved the card so much and has since passed my details onto several of her family and friends.

See you again tomorrow with another of my creations xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment