Saturday 6 October 2012

Rectangle Beatrix Potter Card


Hiya

A few days ago – well with my sense of time it could even be as far back as 10 days – I shared a card I had made using left over toppers from a printed sheet. Today I am sharing the initial card I printed the sheet out for....

The printed sheet was taken from a Crafters Companion CD Rom called Beatrix Potter Everyday & Winter

I have used 3 different backing papers that were actually taken from a Kanban CD Rom called Kanban Stamped Backgrounds – why it has such a title I don't know as it is the most beautiful backing papers - now I have seen it I know it will get a whole lot of use as the papers come in lots of colour ways and styles so ideal for all occasions.


So materials for this card I used ….

Heat mat to work on and protect your surface – I always use it...

White A4 card stock

Printed sheet

3 different A4 backing papers

Dark blue A4 card stock

A scrap of silver mirri card

PVA glue – I use Cosmic Shimmer

Glamour dust

Corner Chomper – any corner rounder will do.

Double sided tape

Sticky pads

Eazi Score Board & tool

Tonic 8” guillotine

Scissors

Tweezers

Shaping tool from www.dimensionstamps.com

Foam shaping mat – stamping mat or even a mouse mat

To make the card ...

I used the Eazi score board and tool to score line 7 onto the white card to create the card blank – I have used landscape (often called tent fold)

I trimmed one of the backing papers down to fit the card front leaving a narrow all round border – then rounded the corners using a corner chomper. This was then stuck to the card with double sided tape.

The dark blue card was next to be cut down – this was to fit on top of the backing paper – a border all round then rounded the corners and stuck in place with double sided tape.

Using the 2nd backing paper I cut a piece to fit on the dark blue I cut it so I had wide borders at the sides but narrow top and bottom – corners were rounded and then this layer stuck in place with double sided tape.

From the printed design sheet I cut the paper ribbon and using a wider double sided tape I attached this across the centre of the card – it was a perfect fit from left to right edge.

I cut the largest topper from the sheet – taking care not to damage the 4 square toppers -then matted it to a piece of dark blue card leaving a narrow border.

I positioned this panel more towards the top of the card so I had room to add my sentiment – I stuck the panel with double sided tape.

Finally it was down to the sentiment which I trimmed, layered onto a scrap of silver mirri card then a piece of dark blue card leaving a narrow border on each layer.

The panel was then attached just below the main image with double sided tape.

I had 1 sheet of backing paper left so folded in half and stuck inside the card as an insert – because I also printed a general insert I cropped this one down a bit then punched 2 corners using a Martha Stewart Snowflake corner punch.

Lastly its the decorating – I used Cosmic Shimmer PVA glue on the top of the closest tree and along the sky/snow border line then covered with glamour dust and left it to dry.

Using the quickie glue pen I highlighted the trees and the snowy ground then covered with glamour dust – once the PVA had tried I shook away all the excess glitter to reveal a lovely card.

Although I say what I have used for my cards – my preferred brand of goods is just my choice – you can use what suits you – like the PVA there are many good glues available and they will all work well – I just use Cosmic Shimmer as its my 1st choice – and the glitter I use Glamour dust but also Debbi Moore, Dovecraft and more...

What I will just say is don't go for the cheapest as its not always value for money – no point saving money then using twice as much to get the effect...at the same time you don't have to have the named goods...own brands work well in some cases....

I do hope you like the card – and if you back track my blog you will find the 4 panel card I made using the left overs from this one sheet – that's value for money on my mind – 2 wonderful cards from one sheet...and tomorrow I will show you what I did with the other sheet I printed!

Hope to see you then....

x

1 comment: